Monday, August 31, 2015

Kindle Unlimited Review


Note: I have received no compensation for writing this review. I just think it's a product worthy of review.
...Another note: The pattern for the crocheted case that you can kind of see underneath is coming soon. :)

I love reading. I have a slight obsession. As in, I read way more than I probably should. Surprisingly, however, I didn't jump at Kindle Unlimited when it first came out. I really only got it when there was a Cyber Monday deal last year to get a discounted Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle Unlimited for six months. Now that I've had it for eight months (because of the month-long trial and continued subscription), I feel like I can write a review.

Guys, I love it. For $10 a month, you can read up to ten books at a time, and there are lots of options. Not anything really big, but enough to sate my addiction. I'm always surprised by how many books are available.

Because I personally know an author listed on Kindle Unlimited, I can tell you that authors do get paid when their books are read, but only if the reader finishes at least 10% of the book. So, I try to finish at least that much when I read, but I don't always since some books just aren't good.

There are plenty of highly rated books on the list, and plenty that aren't. I feel like there really is something for everyone, except the people who only want to read health cookbooks. There aren't a ton of good options for those people.

One thing I love is that there are TONS of cute, full color children's books. They don't really work on normal Kindles, but they do on any tablet or computer through the app. Heck, I used the Kindle app on my phone, and we have hours of amusement from that. The only problem is, once again, the ten book limit. You have to kind of cycle through the books you've already...what word am I looking for? Rented? That's essentially what it is, but they don't call it that.

There's one other cool feature that Kindle Unlimited supposedly has, and that's that some books also have an audio version. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get this to work with my phone. My Kindle is new and doesn't have the option for sound, and it doesn't appear to work with the app on my tablet, either. I think it's probably a problem with the app rather than Kindle Unlimited, but I'm kind of disappointed that I couldn't get it to work. It would be nice to listen to a book while I work out.

Final verdict. I highly recommend Kindle Unlimited for those who love reading. For the price of about two ebooks, you can read unlimited (hehe) number of books. Are all of them great? No, but there really is a great variety. Are you going to be able to read the hottest new releases? Not most of them. But still. I think it's a great value. I'll be keeping my subscription. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment